db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Logistics for JDO maintenance release
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2006 21:37:18 GMT
[apologies for the html formatting, needed for the tables below]

Based on the feedback I received for the maintenance release, I'd
like to propose that we put both the jdk1.5 changes as well as the
jdk1.3 changes into the specification. When running with jdk1.5
features, the jdo api jar needs to be different in order to
accommodate the new signatures of the apis that are now generic.
Similarly, in order to test the new jdk1.5 features, the tck jar
needs to be different to use the new signatures. I think the most
straightforward way to do this is to create different jar files that
are self-contained. This implies that we have different artifact
names and build them with different svn workspaces.

Our current workspaces are trunk and branches/2.0.1. I'd like to
propose we create new projects corresponding to api20 and tck20 that
contain the jdk1.5 changes for the maintenance release. When we
branch the workspaces for the release, we can change the version
number from SNAPSHOT to 2.1.

For naming, here's what we currently have:
directory   groupId        artifactId version
---------   -------        ---------- -------
trunk/api20 javax.jdo      jdo2-api   SNAPSHOT
trunk/tck20 org.apache.jdo jdo2-tck   SNAPSHOT

I think we need to change the project names and the artifact ids for
the new release. [I think it will be confusing to have the
maintenance release with two different release numbers, one
reflecting 1.3 and the other 1.5. I'd like to propose changing the
artifact names instead.]

We can work on the 1.3 and 1.5 workspaces at the same time. We need
to migrate any of the 1.3 changes into the 1.5 project also. Changes
in the 1.5 don't need to be ported back to the 1.3. Bug fixes of
course can be migrated from the 2.0.1 branch into both the 1.3 and
1.5 projects in trunk. After release, we can create a new 2.1.1
branch that we use for maintenance of the 2.1 code line.

Here's my proposal for naming; I just stuck a "5" in the names in an
arbitrary place:
directory           groupId        artifactId version
---------           -------        ---------- -------
trunk/api205        javax.jdo      jdo2-api5  SNAPSHOT
trunk/tck205        org.apache.jdo jdo2-tck5  SNAPSHOT
branches/2.1/api205 javax.jdo      jdo2-api5  2.1
branches/2.1/tck205 org.apache.jdo jdo2-tck5  2.1
branches/2.1/api20  javax.jdo      jdo2-api   2.1
branches/2.1/tck20  org.apache.jdo jdo2-tck   2.1

I'm open to other project and artifactId names. Here are a few that
might work. I'd welcome other suggestions. Keep in mind that maven
concatenates the artifactId, "-", and version number to produce the
file name for the artifact jars, signatures, and checksums.

api205 jdo2-api5 ==> jdo2-api5-2.1.jar
api25 jdo25-api ==> jdo25-api-2.1.jar
api2-5 jdo2-5-api  ==> jdo2-5-api-2.1.jar
api2-1.5 jdo2-1.5-api  ==> jdo2-1.5-api-2.1.jar

Comments?

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!