db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Behavior of makePersistent with detached instance parameter
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 20:03:00 GMT
Javadogs,

Please look at issue http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-428
which describes the situation where a datastore transaction is in
progress and a detached instance is attached.

The spec does not state that the instance should be persistent-clean,
and there is a test case challenge that the instance might be hollow;
that is, the detached state is discarded upon attachment.

I had not considered this particular use-case when writing the spec.
So, for the maintenance release, does anyone think that we need to
clarify that the detached state should be preserved upon attachment
(as the TCK now assumes) or simply allow implementations to discard
the state if they so choose?

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Russell