db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: PersistenceManager extends Serializable
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 01:05:06 GMT
Hi Geoff,

I was thinking that there is no reason why the PM can't serialize to
a stream an instance that it knows how to store in a database. It's
easier, after all, than generating SQL for storage.

So I'd mandate that the PM cannot throw not-serializable for
persistent instances. Instances that implement Serializable get
stored in the "normal" way. Instances that don't get stored in a PM-
specific format in the stream. It's only instances that the user
wants to store in the session directly that need to be Serializable
(this because that is a container contract).

Craig

On Oct 18, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Geoff hendrey wrote:

> If the instances in cache are not serializable, then an exception
> gets thrown at runtime when the instance in cache tries to serialize.
> (of course a PM might be "super smart" and might know how to
> serialize a PersistanceCapable instanc. Heck, it already knows how
> to map a PC to a database).
> :-)
> -geoff

Craig Russell