db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Feature proposal for JDO 2.1 maintenance: current DB time
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:53:36 GMT
It's easy enough to define "new Date()" as being evaluated on the
back end for queries that are executed on the back end. And being
evaluated in the vm for queries that have a bound candidateCollection.

But does this satisfy the requirements? Once you have a Date in
JDOQL, what can you do with it?

Craig

On Oct 16, 2006, at 11:58 AM, Erik Bengtson wrote:

> +1. maybe "new Date()" could be the expression where evaluation
> occurs on the
> database.
>
> Quoting Jörg von Frantzius <joerg.von.frantzius@artnology.com>:
>
>> Dear experts,
>>
>> there had been several occasions where in our applications we had to
>> determine the database server's current time(-stamp). In one
>> application
>> we needed it to synchronize sent JMS messages with visibility of
>> commits
>> in the database, and in another we need it for our simple replication
>> algorithm.
>>
>> In distributed systems in general it is often crucial for
>> synchronization purposes to have a common source of time information
>> that is accessible from all processes.
>>
>> It would be great if JDO2 could offer a way of doing that
>> independently
>> of the database, e.g. as a JDOQL function.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Jörg

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com