db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject [DISCUSS] JDO 2.1 maintenance release
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2006 20:49:00 GMT
Javadogs,

Please refer to http://wiki.apache.org/jdo/ChangeLog and http://
wiki.apache.org/jdo/ChangeLog15

It's time to decide the broad outline of the JDO 2 maintenance
release. I have put into the ChangeLogs all the features that I know
of that we have discussed including. If there are any missing items,
please reply.

One rather large decision is whether to require JDK 1.5 for the
release. I think there are three options, since part of the change
requires JDK 1.5: annotations, Enum, and signature changes for generics.

1. Require JDK 1.5 for the 2.1 maintenance release.

Pro: Least amount of work for everyone. Easiest to explain, package,
and document.

Con: All the users who want the features of JDO 2.1 and can't move to
JDK 1.5 (actually, the only significant feature that doesn't require
1.5 is subqueries).

2. Split the current maintenance release into two maintenance
releases. Do the first maintenance release with no JDK 1.5 changes,
and follow up in six months with another release that includes the
1.5 content.

Pro: Users get subqueries without going to JDK 1.5

Con: No annotation, enum, or JPA support for another 6 to 8 months

3. Split the maintenance release into two parts, one of which only
requires JDK 1.3, and the other part which requires 1.5. Ship two
sets of jar files for at least the api20 jar and tck20 jar, with
different dependencies.

Pro: Users get exactly what they want, and only have a dependency on
1.5 if they want to use 1.5 features

Con: A lot more work, harder to package, document, and use, more
maven dependencies, more packages and jar files. The project is under-
resourced to do this in a timely way.

Please let me know which of these options you are willing to help with.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!