db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] JDO 2.1 maintenance release
Date Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:41:24 GMT
Hi Andy,

I'd like to know what you think JDO support for Calendar should be.

I believe that you cannot map a Calendar to a single column in the
datastore because Calendar has a few features that you don't want to
lose:

1. A Calendar instance represents a point in time for a particular
time zone. If you store and retrieve the instance, it should match
the point in time as well as the time zone. [This is preserved during
serialization of a Calendar.]

2. A Calendar instance might be partially complete (not all
components of the Calendar have been specified). If you store and
retrieve the instance, it should be exactly as complete as when it
was stored. [This is preserved during serialization of a Calendar.]

JPA allows you to use a date-time column to store a Calendar, which I
think is wrong, because data is lost. There is no way to restore the
Calendar as it was when persisted.

Do you really need to store a Calendar in a form other than
serialized (which is already supported)? What would you put into the
specification?

Regards,

Craig

On Oct 14, 2006, at 9:33 AM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> To ChangeLog I would like to see the addition of support for Calendar.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!