db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jordan <davej...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: The Future of JDO
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 02:19:39 GMT

An interesting proposal.
I continue to believe that the largest backers of JPA were against
JDO because of it being binary compatible across object and
relational databases. And due to the "bad blood" between JDO and EJB
2.0. An issue with this approach is that the JPA group could continue
to evolve JPA, making it difficult for the JDO group to produce such
a superset. I have not done a thorough review of JPA, so I cannot
comment on how feasible this is.

Another theory I had was that some of the relational vendors simply
did not want there to be any standard for object persistence. By
introducing JPA, we now have 3 competing APIs: Hibernate, JPA, and
JDO. Most people I talk to these days seem to feel that neither JPA
or JDO has achieved "industry standard status" and people continue to
use and adopt Hibernate because it has the most market adoption.

It is very unfortunate we did not have JPOX for JDO 1.0. That would
have given Hibernate more competition.

I am not advocating Hibernate, I have gotten requests from several
companies recently that have had serious technical issues with
Hibernate, struggling with problems that JDO does not have. But when
I suggest they switch to JDO, they point out that JPA is the
"standard", yet their impression is that no one is using it.

There is lots of confusion out there, most are deciding to not adopt
any technology. Which is what I was concerned was one of the ulterior
motives behind JPA.