db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg von Frantzius <joerg.von.frantz...@artnology.com>
Subject Feature proposal for JDO 2.1 maintenance: current DB time
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:28:43 GMT
Dear experts,

there had been several occasions where in our applications we had to
determine the database server's current time(-stamp). In one application
we needed it to synchronize sent JMS messages with visibility of commits
in the database, and in another we need it for our simple replication
algorithm.

In distributed systems in general it is often crucial for
synchronization purposes to have a common source of time information
that is accessible from all processes.

It would be great if JDO2 could offer a way of doing that independently
of the database, e.g. as a JDOQL function.

Regards,
Jörg