db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@jpox.org>
Subject Re: The Future of JDO
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2006 08:25:36 GMT
> By reading this thread and an article posted by Linda DeMichiel and Craig
> Russell (http://java.sun.com/j2ee/letter/persistence.html), I was quite
> confused about which one (JDO or JPA) to choose as many efforts have been
> pushed towards JSR-220 so far. I know JPA is mainly driven by vendors,
> however I've heard its query language is quite powerful when compared to
> JDOQL. Any comments would be appreciated.

Hi Dario,

A correction. JPA is driven by large corporations and politics. There are
actually many vendors of JDO (the majority with JDO1 solutions, but some with
JDO2 solutions).

I personally would not base any decision on what you hear. Large corporations
say many things and put forward many statements about their preferred
technology based on their own balance sheet and not on capability of the
technology. You should base your decisions on what the specifications
actually say and what implementations do and what you require.

On JPOX we put together a brief comparison of JDO2 and JPA1
This has been on our site for people to comment/disagree with.

There are other such comparisons around, all coming up with the same basic
opinion. Here are a couple

Any particular feature of JPQL/JDOQL you are referring to ?

View raw message