db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@jpox.org>
Subject Re: The Future of JDO
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 05:08:30 GMT
> I continue to believe that the largest backers of JPA were against
> JDO because of it being binary compatible across object and
> relational databases.

Agreed.

JPA was "invented" to be so weak that Hibernate and TopLink could be
considered "standards compliant" and to water down any such specification to
allow such RDBMS vendors (you know who they are) to continue to lock clients
in to their bloated RDBMS ... another reason why the JDBC "specification" is
also so weak (and it has had *many* revisions) and doesn't define so many
things (and why the JDBC drivers of aforementioned RDBMS vendors are so poor
at implementing that "specification").

> > If, however, JDO 3.0
> > will extend JPA in some way - we might be in a similar position
> > as Hibernate and Toplink that also support their old API in
> > addition to the new JPA API, with the advantage that our extensions
> > are standard and backed by multiple implementations including both
> > relational databases and object databases (plus some unique
> > powerful features such as JDO 2.0 fetch groups).
> > Maybe some JPA issues can be excluded. But in my opinion at least
> > supporting the new API (e.g. deprecating makePersistent and adding
> > persist, or supporting both as in java.util.Vector since JDK 1.2)
> > is a must in order to survive.

Totally agree. I would think of the following items

1. "persistence.xml". I see no real reason not to allow specification of
classes to be persisted using persistence.xml as an additional way of
creating the PMF.

2. Persistence API. There are not many differences between JPA and JDO methods
so what you propose should be straightforward. Those JDO implementations that
have/are implementing JPA will know that it is simply putting a wrapper
around their existing JDO method. Why not include in 2.1?

3. Query Language. JPQL can be made available via the query "language" flag in
the existing API (so we add "javax.jdo.query.JPQL" or something as a valid
value). OK the JDO implementation (if supporting this language) will have to
add a new query language but the hook is there. Could be an optional feature
in JDO 2.1 ?

4. Types. Mandate support for Enums, Calendar when running under Java5, so all
types that JPA supports are there. Why not include in 2.1?

5. Annotations. The donated JDO2 annotations need splitting between
persistence annotations, and ORM. Looking through the JPA annotations some
time ago, it wasn't clear that we can just take theirs and add others due to
too many missing concepts. What the JDO(3) spec could do is firstly define
the precedence of annotations and metadata (to match the JPA spec
definition), and secondly define how JPA annotations can be used by a JDO3
implementation. In addition provide JDO2/3 annotations to allow finer
definition.

--
Andy