db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Bengtson <e...@jpox.org>
Subject Re: The Future of JDO
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 12:43:26 GMT

> The fact that JPA has not really had much impact (that is the
> perception out there, I don't know the reality, but in the market it
> is perception that matters) does give JDO a new opportunity to rise
> up and be reconsidered.

This is very important point, but maybe optimistic. I would say that's the last
opportunity for JDO to get some traction.

In my packet for JDO 2.1 / 3, I would include services around the API like
failover, transaction recovery, management and monitoring. I dont't see much
things more where JDO could differ from JPA. On the other side JPA has support
from big vendors, and in one way or other this is very confortable for short
term / long term while JDO is perceived as dead by many.

I would love to spend more time on marketing however time is short and market
needs to be followed by execution capacity which, for JPOX at least is limited
by number of contributors.

Regards