db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Ilan Kirsh <ki...@objectdb.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] JDO 2.1 maintenance release
Date Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:05:34 GMT
I agree. After reading only the header of every option I though that 3 is the best and 1 is
the worst, but after reading the cons of 2 and 3 it seems that 1 is the only feasible option.
I am afraid that plans for 6-8 months might eventually take much longer and because the project
is under resourced the amount of work should be a main consideration. Adding support for sub
queries for existing users of JDK 1.4 is a minor issue IMO, that might be resolved as an extension
to JDO 2.01 by vendors that are interested.

Ilan
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Wesley Biggs
  To: JDO Expert Group
  Cc: Apache JDO project
  Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2006 1:56 AM
  Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] JDO 2.1 maintenance release

   -- Users want 1.5 features ASAP
   -- Vendors need to support existing customers who cannot upgrade to 1.5

  I suggest:
   -- Target the maintenance release against 1.5 only (option 1 below).  Update the TCK to
require 1.5 only.
   -- Allow vendors to backport JDO 2.1 changes from ChangeLog (not ChangeLog15) to their
own JAR distribution for JDK versions < 1.5.

  Pros: benefits of option 1 as laid out by Craig
  Cons: no such thing as being certified as JDO 2.1 compliant against JDK <= 1.4.x.  But
I don't think this really matters to users.

  Wes

  Craig L Russell wrote:
    Javadogs,

    Please refer to http://wiki.apache.org/jdo/ChangeLog and http://wiki.apache.org/jdo/ChangeLog15

    It's time to decide the broad outline of the JDO 2 maintenance release. I have put into
the ChangeLogs all the features that I know of that we have discussed including. If there
are any missing items, please reply.

    One rather large decision is whether to require JDK 1.5 for the release. I think there
are three options, since part of the change requires JDK 1.5: annotations, Enum, and signature
changes for generics.

    1. Require JDK 1.5 for the 2.1 maintenance release.

    Pro: Least amount of work for everyone. Easiest to explain, package, and document.

    Con: All the users who want the features of JDO 2.1 and can't move to JDK 1.5 (actually,
the only significant feature that doesn't require 1.5 is subqueries).

    2. Split the current maintenance release into two maintenance releases. Do the first maintenance
release with no JDK 1.5 changes, and follow up in six months with another release that includes
the 1.5 content.

    Pro: Users get subqueries without going to JDK 1.5

    Con: No annotation, enum, or JPA support for another 6 to 8 months

    3. Split the maintenance release into two parts, one of which only requires JDK 1.3, and
the other part which requires 1.5. Ship two sets of jar files for at least the api20 jar and
tck20 jar, with different dependencies.

    Pro: Users get exactly what they want, and only have a dependency on 1.5 if they want
to use 1.5 features

    Con: A lot more work, harder to package, document, and use, more maven dependencies, more
packages and jar files. The project is under-resourced to do this in a timely way.

    Please let me know which of these options you are willing to help with.

    Craig Russell

    408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com

    P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!