db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From "David Bullock" ...@dawnbreaks.net>
Subject Re: Relationships mapped with mapped-by (long)
Date Sat, 09 Sep 2006 08:34:23 GMT

> We have an issue with regard to the behavior of relationships mapped using
> mapped-by, where there is a bidirectional relationship instantiated by a
> single database artifact, either a foreign key or a row in a join table.
>
> The spec currently defines a subset of behavior where relationships are
> updated by the program, and the memory model must be updated to reflect the
> change in the datastore after flush (including flush for commit).

You already know that as a user of JDO, I view this behaviour as obnoxious -
the JDO implementation should not alter the semantic state of my objects,
and it should by no means attempt to guess my intent when I have made
ambiguous alterations (an exception telling me to get my act together is all
I need).  Interesting that this EJB3-envy feature is introducing new
issues.  I would much prefer that you dropped it and tackled the issues of
relationship-management comprehensively in a separate JSR, which used to be
your entirely logical stance on the matter.  I regard the need for
maintenance in this area as informal evidence of an iceberg waiting beneath
the tip.

sincerely,
David Bullock.