db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@jpox.org>
Subject Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, August 11, 9 am PST
Date Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:17:09 GMT
> Current TCK against the current JPOX snapshot fails in tearDown due
> to foreign key constraint violations.  The TCK might need to change
> based on the resolution of JDO-392. AI Erik change JPOX to allow the
> TCK to use the old behavior; the TCK might need a PMF flag for interim.

JPOX (nightly builds, available on our Maven repo) has for the last several
weeks used the same behaviour that was used at 1.1.0 ... namely
* if delete-dependent then delete dependents
* else if nullable null the FK
* else leave to the DB

It has no such issue with any TCK snapshot that i've checked out over the last
2 months. Not sure what people are using there.

I totally agree with Jorg that the use of <foreign-key> should be taken into
account in this process. What it should be IMHO is
1. If delete-dependent, then delete dependents
2. If not dependent, but an FK is specified leave to the DB to sort it out
3. If not dependent, and no FK, null the FK (if nullable)
4. Else leave it to see what happens.

The code for this is in JPOX CVS commented out (for 1-1, 1-N, M-N, N-1
relations), but am waiting on JDO-392 to consider the issue before I enable
it. If JDO-392 (and the content of the spec on this issue) doesn't get any
action in the near future then it will become a JPOX extension.

--
Andy