db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JDO2 Annotations
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:36:59 GMT
Javadogs,

Please take a look at this proposal by Andy.

High order bit: The expert group needs to make a decision whether to:

1. Not define any annotations, leaving it up to implementations to
decide what to do

2. Define a complete set of annotations

3. Track JSR 220 and JSR 250 annotations for persistence and mapping
and add only annotations for JDO that are not already covered by the
other annotation specifications

Orthogonal to the above, we need to decide whether support of
annotations for implementations that support JDK 1.5 is required or
optional.

Craig

On Jul 4, 2006, at 11:48 PM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

>> For information, you can find an initial (top-level) set of
>> suggested JDO2
>> annotations at
> http://jpox.cvs.sourceforge.net/jpox/JPOX/Plugins/Java5/src/java/
> org/jpox/annotations/
>
> Since it's all quiet on annotations I'll provoke further :-)
> The above link now shows an almost complete set of proposed JDO2
> annotations
> (I changed "PersistentField" to "Field" to match the metadata
> element). The
> advantages of matching annotations to metadata element are
> obvious ... people
> don't need to relearn the terms they already know from metadata.
> The only
> places where I haven't stuck to this are the top-level
> PersistenceCapable,
> PersistenceAware annotations (since they make more sense, to me)
>
> The only elements missing are Index, ForeignKey, Unique (i'll add
> these soon),
> Interface, Property (which are low interest for me) and the
> recursive aspects
> of FetchGroup and Embedded (which are restricted due to annotations
> JDK1.5
> design). Needless to say that these are all supported in the latest
> JPOX
> nightly builds where you could actually use them interchangeably
> with your
> metadata, or JPA annotations, or indeed your own set of annotations
> if you
> feel like it.
>
> Comments are welcome. Really.
>

> --