db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Advisory: JDO2 Annotation Metadata
Date Sat, 22 Jul 2006 23:42:00 GMT
I'd like to get a sense of the community on this proposal based on
the recent discussion on the alias. Please provide some feedback.
This would be for a JDO 2.1 Maintenance Release.

[+1] Right direction, detailed planning can proceed

[-1] We need something different (please specify the direction)

JDO2 will define a complete set of annotations

Annotations will be declared in two different packages; jdo
annotations would contain only object model metadata, not mapping
  * javax.jdo.annotation.jdo
  * javax.jdo.annotation.orm

Annotation documentation will focus on mapping between annotations
and the existing xml metadata and will use the identical semantics of
xml metadata

Compliant implementations that support JDK1.5 will be required to
accept annotated classes' metadata

If annotated classes are used with xml metadata, xml metadata will
override annotation metadata.

JDO2 will define interoperability with EJB3/JPA annotations

Compliant implementations can optionally use @Entity annotations
instead of JDO annotations

Mapping from EJB3/JPA to JDO will be defined so as to improve
portability of applications from one JDO implementation to others

If both JDO and EJB3/JPA annotations are used in the same class we
need to choose between:

  * JDO annotations will override EJB3/JPA annotations
  * This is illegal

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!