db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Samson" <eric.sam...@xcalia.com>
Subject RE: JDO2 Annotations
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 22:25:10 GMT
Hello Craig and all

Here is why we support option 3:

*	we think that annotations are nice for persistence but not for mapping information

	*	so annotation should remain as simple as possible and stay data source independent
	*	one goal of a persistence tool is to remove technical APIs to access data sources from
business applications source code, mapping annotations are a move backward in that case. Moreover,
they tend to make the source code unreadable as it is cluttered with dozens of interpreted
comment lines

*	it is important for users to have a kind of convergence between JDO and JPA in the future

	*	to that extent defining a set of completely different annotations is not desirable
	*	my guess is that ORM tools will have to support both JDO and JPA in the future so it is
better to implement only one set of annotations (maybe with additional JDO2 annotations whenever
required)
	*	to me JDO2 is already a superset of JPA, so JDO annotations should be a superset of JPA
annotations

Best Regards,

....: Eric Samson, Founder & CTO, xcalia

Service your Data!