db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@jpox.org>
Subject Re: deletePersistent() automatically nulling out referring FKs?!
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 05:58:44 GMT
> JDO2 did intend to disallow the behavior you describe.
>
> Additionally, the metadata allows you to explicitly declare the
> behavior of the FK on delete.
>
> You could try explicitly setting the FK delete behavior to restrict,
> and see what happens:
>
>              <field name="b_1to1" column="b_1to1_FK"
>                  persistence-modifier="persistent" >
>                  <foreign-key delete-action="restrict"/>
>              </field>
>
> But even without this declaration, I think there is an issue with the
> described behavior.

Hi Jorg,

lets be specific here, there are actually 3 situations :-

1. You have dependent-field set. This will delete the other object

2. You have a FK included in your metadata (which you haven't). This will
leave it to the DB to do the work and throw errors if necessary

3. You have nothing specified (so the JDO impl would have been allowed to
create no FK in the datastore if doing schema generation - fortunately for
you JPOX creates it for you thinking that you had simply forgotten). In this
situation you get the FK nulling. Its been like this since day one and gives
the smoothest result for the user ... they want rid of that record so it is
removed without affecting other records.

--
Andy