db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@jpox.org>
Subject Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, June 16, 9 am PST
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2006 17:59:05 GMT
> We need more documentation to make JDO more accessible.
> One option is to use EJB3 annotations for metadata. JPOX.

> The JPOX community is looking for more members, and so is
> the Apache JDO project. We need to brainstorm how to get
> the two communities to work closer together.

Hi,

whilst implementing annotations for JPOX I find that I need to implement some of
my own to map those JDO2 attributes that JPA1 doesnt have :-). Only covered the
class-level annotations so far but I have
detachable
requires-extent
identity-type

I've implemented these as JPOX annotations, but it would make sense (to me) to
have these as part of Apache JDO (in some way). Clearly this would open up the
issue of annotations in JDO. To quote from the JDO2 spec
<spec>
Metadata annotations for persistence are being developed in JSR 220. When that speci-
fication is final, an update to the JDO specification to specify support for the
annota-
tions will be made.
</spec>
We're at this point aren't we ? ;-) Is there any interest in standardising these
in a JDK1.5 part of Apache JDO (since the spec already defines what the
attributes are, and its just a case of having an associated annotation for them,
and using the JPA annotation where there is one). The other issue is whether
OpenJPA has already done this - but then thats also a part of Apache so you'll be
more familiar with that than me :-)

Comments?

--
Andy