db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Behavior of projection queries (long)
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 00:32:46 GMT
Hi,

I think we're all coming pretty close to agreement summarized by David:

>> In my opinion, the rule should always be: projected SCOs are never
>> owned,
>> projected FCOs are always managed.  Modifying unowned SCOs never
>> has an
>> effect on the database.  Modifying FCOs no matter how you get them
>> always has
>> an effect if the tx commits (except for the well know corner case of
>> modifying just the unowned side of a bidirectional relationship).
>> That's
>> what most developers would expect.

Except for the fact that changes to either side of a bidirectional
relationship actually do affect the database at commit time.

<spec>
15.3
Regardless of which side
changes the relationship, flush (whether done as part of commit or
explicitly by the user)
will modify the datastore to reflect the change and will update the
memory model for consistency.
</spec>

I'll go with the consensus here:

The rule should always be: projected SCOs are never owned,
projected FCOs are always managed.  Modifying unowned SCOs never has an
effect on the database.  Modifying FCOs no matter how you get them
always has
an effect if the tx commits.

Craig

On Jun 15, 2006, at 7:39 AM, Michael Bouschen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after reading David's reply and the discussion during the JDO TCK
> conference call I think returning an owned SCO from a JDOQL
> projection query is not a good idea. The whole point in supporting
> projection queries is to be able to return field values without the
> need to instantiate the entire instance. This means SCO's returned
> from a query are never owned. This implies that mutable SCO
> instances need to be cloned if the owning instance is already
> loaded. For immutable SCO instances it is a decision of the JDO
> implementation whether to clone or not.
>
> Regards Michael
>> More inline
>>
>> Quoting David Ezzio <dezzio@bea.com>:
>>

>>> Hi Craig,
>>>
>>> Comments inline.
>>>
>>> David

>>> cos.incorporated.setTime(new Date().getMillis());
>>> tx.commit();
>>>
>>> tx.begin();
>>> cos.departments.add(new Department());
>>> tx.commit();
>>>
>>> tx.begin();
>>> cos.hqAddress.setState("CA");
>>> tx.commit();
>>>
>>> Have I modified the company instance in the database in any of these
>>> cases?
>>>
>>> ***
>>> YES
>>>

>>> 3.Now, suppose I change the mutable second class fields of the
>>> instances I get from dtos (the holders for the field values of the
>>> instances).
>>>
>>> tx.begin();
>>> dtos.incorporated.setTime(new Date().getMillis());
>>> tx.commit();
>>>
>>> tx.begin();
>>> dtos.departments.add(new Department());
>>> tx.commit();
>>>
>>> tx.begin();
>>> dtos.hqAddress.setState("CA");

>>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

>>> ___
>>> Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may
>>> contain
>>> information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and
>>> affiliated
>>> entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted
>>> and/or
>>> legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the
>>> individual
>>> or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended
>>> recipient,
>>> and have received this message in error, please immediately
>>> return this
>>> by email and then delete it.
>>>

> --
> Michael Bouschen		Tech@Spree Engineering GmbH