db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, June 16, 9 am PST
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:04:07 GMT
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Erik Bengtson, Matthew Adams, Martin
Zaun, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Subqueries in JDOQL, followup (Eric, Craig, Michael) It seems that
attempts to separate the query from its subquery reduce the
functionality, in particular for correlated subqueries. So the
"future" idea of creating two query objects and binding one to the
other seems not to work. We are now discussing the use of variables
to specify the subquery. Since a subquery needs to specify such
things as the return type, unique, and candidate class, it seems that
the single string query is the best way to specify the value of the
variable. AI: Everyone respond to Matthew's email dated June 9.

2. Updates to embedded field, date field selected in owning object
(Craig) The consensus is to always return SCO instances that are not
associated with FCO instances. So updates to the SCO instances will
never appear in the datastore. AI: Michelle will write the test case
for JIRA http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-382

3. Other issues (any and all)

Matthew Adams blogged about JDO and EJB3:
http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=40965

We need more documentation to make JDO more accessible. One option is
to use EJB3 annotations for metadata. JPOX. Address junior Java
programmers with some really basic education about persistence. White
paper "Persistence for Dummies". Links from the JDO web site to other
sources of documentation and some original material. High level
describe roles in building JDO applications. We could put some
keywords on our web site such as Java Persistence, EJB3, JDO, etc. We
could do an analysis of open source benchmarks such as Pole Position.

The JPOX community is looking for more members, and so is the Apache
JDO project. We need to brainstorm how to get the two communities to
work closer together.

Action Items from weeks past:

[Jun 9 2006] AI  Martin write up alternative proposal on subqueries
(have some way to defer execution of a query and  pass the "future"
query result to the outer query as a parameter.) Done.

[Jun 9 2006] . Re updates to embedded field, date field selected in
owning object. AI  everyone who cares: reply to David's reply. AI
Craig update the spec  with the results of the discussion. AI
Michelle update the test case  with the spec results. Done.

[Jun 2 2006] Additional query tests are in Craig's workspace. AI
Craig: file a JIRA with patches to be reviewed. In progress.

[Jun 2 2006] AI team: go through the open issues and assign relevant
issues to the maintenance release. In progress.

[May 26 2006] The spec describes handling of oid fields (application
identity) where the field is a persistence capable type. The
description says that the type of the oid field must be the same
type  as the persistence capable class, but actually the type of the
oid  field must be the type of the oid of the referenced class. AI
Craig:  update the spec and the wiki change log. In progress.

[Apr 14 2006] AI Craig: update the roadmap for JDO. In progress.

[Nov 4 2005] AI Martin: Update Martin's wiki with discusion of JDK
1.5 issues. In progress

[Sep 2 2005] AI: To recruit members, update the web site. Articles
on  TheServerSide directing attention to the site. T-shirts,
logo.    AI:  Craig write a ServerSide article.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!