db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Bouschen <mbo.t...@spree.de>
Subject Re: JDOQL Subquery proposals
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:18:29 GMT
Hi,

I agree to what Craig mentioned in the JDO TCK minutes: method
addSubquery separates the outer from the subquery. So it looks like that
this approach cannot support correlated subqueries where the subquery
iterates a collection field defined in the outer query. My preference is
using variables declaration to support subqueries even in the Query API
case.

A query selecting employees earning more than the average salary could be:
SELECT FROM Employee WHERE this.salary > averageSalary
   VARIABLES float averageSalary = SELECT AVG(this.salary) FROM Employee

But I still have problems with a correlated subquery. I'm looking for a
query selecting employees earning more than the average salary of their
department. The difference to the query above is that the candidates
collection of the subquery: the employees collection of the department
of the current employee and not the entire Employee extent. Here are
some ideas to stimulate the discussion, but I'm not quite happy with these.

(1) Use a collection variable in the FROM clause of the subquery:
  SELECT FROM Employee WHERE this.salary > averageSalary
   VARIABLES Collection emps = this.department.employees;
      float averageSalary = SELECT AVG(this.salary) FROM emps
One issue is that 'this' is ambiguous: I would think that 'this' always
refers to an instance of the inner most scope. But this means the
subquery cannot directly access a field of the outer query. So the outer
query declares a variable emps that may be used in the inner query.
Maybe we need a special syntax to access the 'this' from the outer query.

(2) The second form does not define any FROM clause, instead it uses a
variable bound to a collection field of the outer query:
SELECT FROM Employee WHERE this.salary > averageSalary
  VARIABLES Employee e;
    float averageSalary = SELECT AVG(e.salary) WHERE
this.department.employees.contains(e)
Since the subquery does not have a FROM clause, 'this' refers to the
current Employee from the outer query.

BTW, this is the query as Java Persistence API Query (formerly EJB QL):
  SELECT e FROM Employee e JOIN e.department d
  WHERE e.salary > (SELECT AVG(e2.salary) FROM d.employees e2)

About the open issue: using the assignment operator ("=") versus the
JDOQL keyword "AS": I vote for the assignment operator. The "AS" keyword
is used in the result expression of the form 'expr AS name'. In a
variable declaration it would have the form 'type name AS expr'. It
might be confusing that the variable declaration swaps the order,
because here the expr is right of the keyword, where it is on the other
side in the result expression.

Regards Michael

Tel.:++49/30/235 520-33		Buelowstr. 66
Fax.:++49/30/2175 2012		D-10783 Berlin