db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JIRA 'Resolved' vs 'Closed' (Re: JIRA question)
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 03:44:24 GMT
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the advice. It's good to know that there is no best
practice, so we haven't been violating it. We will have to take a
look at what it means in terms of the project. I'm thinking that it's
perhaps useful to get rid of "closed" because once a bug is fixed, it
might be ported to multiple releases which would mean adding a "fixed
in" to the bug. And if it's immutable due to being closed, then it
would have to be reopened which is just more work.

But then I have to ask if any of the standard reporting tools (e.g.
release notes) depend on a bug being in some specific status in order
to be picked up. We wrote some filters that work pretty well but
these can always be customized.

Craig

On May 30, 2006, at 7:32 PM, Jeff Turner wrote:

> (Cc'ing infrastructure@ since this is cross-project)
>
> On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 05:52:48PM -0700, Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> I'm the technical lead for the Apache JDO project. I've been a JIRA
>> user for about a year now and I still don't know some of the basics.
>> Like, what is accepted practice for closing JIRA issues (one step
>> beyond resolving the issue). I've seen a number of practices, but is
>> there a documented "best practice" for this?
>
> No, it's pretty much up to the project.
>
> Technically, the difference between Resolved and Closed is that Closed
> issues cannot be edited (by default).  Not being able to edit is of
> often
> annoying, so I usually just 'resolve' issues.
>
> If the resolved/closed distinction is not used, and only confuses
> people,
> we should get rid of one of them. Feel free to customize the JDO
> workflow, eg. to eliminate 'Resolved':
>
> http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/latest/workflow.html
>
> For example, Cocoon have a custom workflow:
>
> Open -> On Hold <-> Continued -> Closed <-> Reopened
>
> If you like you could even have different workflows for different
> issue
> types, eg. add a "Confirmed" step to the Bug workflow.
>

> --Jeff
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Craig

Craig Russell