db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JIRA 'Resolved' vs 'Closed' (Re: JIRA question)
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 04:57:20 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
>>Like, what is accepted practice for closing JIRA issues (one step
>>beyond resolving the issue). I've seen a number of practices, but is
>>there a documented "best practice" for this?
>
> No, it's pretty much up to the project.
>
> Technically, the difference between Resolved and Closed is that Closed
> issues cannot be edited (by default).  Not being able to edit is of often
> annoying, so I usually just 'resolve' issues.

In Hadoop we close issues when a release is made.  This makes Jira's
"Change Log" feature work better, since folks shouldn't generally change
an issue after it has been released, as that will alter the release's
change log, which should be read-only.  We encourage folks to not
re-open closed bugs but instead to create new bugs referencing closed
bugs that can be tracked in an upcoming release.  Perhaps we should even
alter the workflow so that closed issues cannot be re-opened.

I think classically the distinction between "resolved" and "closed" is
for projects with formal QA processes.  Developers resolve bugs and then
testers close them once they've independently verified the fix.

Doug