db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject JIRA 'Resolved' vs 'Closed' (Re: JIRA question)
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 02:32:13 GMT
(Cc'ing infrastructure@ since this is cross-project)

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 05:52:48PM -0700, Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> I'm the technical lead for the Apache JDO project. I've been a JIRA
> user for about a year now and I still don't know some of the basics.
> Like, what is accepted practice for closing JIRA issues (one step
> beyond resolving the issue). I've seen a number of practices, but is
> there a documented "best practice" for this?

No, it's pretty much up to the project.

Technically, the difference between Resolved and Closed is that Closed
issues cannot be edited (by default).  Not being able to edit is of often
annoying, so I usually just 'resolve' issues.

If the resolved/closed distinction is not used, and only confuses people,
we should get rid of one of them. Feel free to customize the JDO
workflow, eg. to eliminate 'Resolved':

http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/latest/workflow.html

For example, Cocoon have a custom workflow:

Open -> On Hold <-> Continued -> Closed <-> Reopened

If you like you could even have different workflows for different issue
types, eg. add a "Confirmed" step to the Bug workflow.

--Jeff