Hello Craig,

I think that if we have includeSubclasses==true that the WHERE clause generated by JPOX will OR all possible values of the discriminator column. Won't that also be sped up by an index on the discriminator column?

Regards,
Jörg

Craig L Russell schrieb:
Hi Jörg,

Just to be clear: this improves performance only in the case that you know what specific class you are looking for (you have a relationship to a specific most-derived subclass) and there is not another more appropriate index to optimize on. So it's worthless in the generic query use case because there will typically be a more restrictive index, and of little value in the navigation case because you are joining on a foreign key anyway. So it's only useful for a table scan of a most-derived subclass or superclass Extent with includeSubclasses==false.

This came out more harshly than I thought it would when I started. Is there a good use case for indexing the discriminator column?

Regards,

Craig