db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg von Frantzius <joerg.von.frantz...@artnology.com>
Subject Re: makePersistent detached instance deleted on database
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:43:49 GMT
Craig L Russell schrieb:
>> Also I find it confusing that the method most prominently used for
>> inserting new objects shouldn't do so for detached instances.
>
> There is a bunch of history that you should look at, most of which is
> in the jdo-dev archives. Bottom line, we used to have a different API,
> attachCopy, but we looked at what it had to do for transient and
> detached instances and decided that it wasn't worth making a different
> API for attaching detached instances.
That particular behaviour of attachCopy() wasn't really specified, but
it was pleasant JPOX-specific behaviour, if I remember correctly. I saw
the discussion and I didn't see where inserting the instances would be
forbidden by the spec, and still I don't see where it says that,
especially in the light of 12.6.7. Please excuse my ignorance, where
does it say that?