db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From e...@jpox.org
Subject Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Mar 3, 9 am PST
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:16:18 GMT

[Feb 17 2006] AI Eric: Investigate implementation's ability to use
native identity strategy given an identity column in the schema. JIRA
JDO-308

We are able to figure out from an existing schema whether columns are auto
incremented using JDBC DatabaseMetaData.getColumns and reading the COLUMN_DEF.
This works well with Derby, but I'm not sure this will work with all
databases/drivers since the COLUMN_DEF property is optional.

The time consumed to retrieve the DatabaseMetaData is huge. For example, before
this change, the models test used to take 500secs, and with the
DatabaseMetaData it takes 4300secs. Note that we only retrieve the
DatabaseMetaData for the primary key columns. JPOX caches DatabaseMetaData in
PMF, but clears them when the PMF is closed