db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew T. Adams" <matthew.ad...@xcalia.com>
Subject RE: makePersistent detached instance deleted on database
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2006 18:59:33 GMT
Don't forget that once JPOX starts throwing exceptions during this behavior,
the exception should contain exceptions for each of the violating detached
objects (the ones that are to be inserted in the new datastore instead of
merged).  You should be able to handle this in a catch clause, making them
transient, then persisting the transient instances.  That way, you can
continue to merge detached objects across datastores, and still insert new
ones in a portable way.  There would be some issues, however, with regard to
object references, but I'd expect that you could handle them during
exception handling.

It's also not the most efficient design, however, as you're almost expecting
a rollback for the violating detached objects:

public void replicateGraph(Object root, boolean retry) {

  try {
    pm.makePersistent(root); // pm is for destination datastore
    return; // happy path
  }
  catch (JDOUserException x) { // I'm not sure of the exact exception type
here
    if (!retry) {
      throw x;
    }
    // else
    // for each nested exception in x
      // get the deleted detached object
      // make it transient
      // replace references in the root graph with the newly transient
objects (might be hard)
    // end for

    // now recurse (only once)
    replicate(root, false);