db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Samson" <e...@xcalia.com>
Subject RE: Optimistic locking - not 100% reliable without triggers?
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:01:36 GMT
Hello Jörg

One common portable solution to this is to acquire locks during the conflict
detection step (using SELECT for UPDATE instead of simple SELECT).

Another approach could be to perform the conflict detection and the update
at the same time (statement like “UPDATE WHERE pk=OID AND TS=ts”), but it
raises some concerns for the conflict resolution (most JDBC drivers are not
able to indicate which rows raised an exception).

Best Regards

....: Eric Samson, Founder & CTO, xcalia

Service your Data!

  _____

De : Jörg von Frantzius [mailto:joerg.von.frantzius@artnology.com]
Envoyé : mardi 14 mars 2006 12:20
À : jdo-dev@db.apache.org
Cc : JDO Expert Group
Objet : Optimistic locking - not 100% reliable without triggers?

Hi,

JPOX optimistic version verification entirely takes place within the VM, by
reading a version column and comparing it with an expected value. When it
verfies OK, JPOX proceeds and updates the version column with a new value.
That means verification and update of version do not happen atomically, at
least not on the database level, unless at least REPEATABLE_READ is used.

Now if two threads or processes want to update the same row, and happen to
verify the row's version at the same time, it is theoretically possible that
they both decide to update it, i.e. none of them will receive a
JDOOptimisticVerificationException. Using READ_UNCOMMITTED instead of
READ_COMMITTED for verifying the version column will increase chances of
detecting a conflict, but still a conflict can remain undetected.

In Oracle's suggestion for implementing optimistic locking, the process will
write the same optimistic version that it had previously read, and a trigger
on the database will do the verification and increment the version if it had
not been so yet. I guess that the trigger executes atomically, so conflicts
will always be detected.

Am I wrong here somewhere or do we really need triggers to have 100%
reliability of conflict detection?

Thanks for any hints,
Jörg