db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg von Frantzius <joerg.von.frantz...@artnology.com>
Subject Cache invalidation
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:59:29 GMT
Hello JDO developers,

in our system we have several VMs that operate on the same database via
JDO. We're performing distributed cache invalidation via our own
notification mechanism, which effectively calls
PMF.getDatastoreCache().evict() and PM.evict(). The problem here is that
either evict() accepts only PC objects, not object ids, so we have to
call PM.getObjectById() beforehand. If no object for that id was
present, we're instantiating a hollow object here only to discard it
afterwards, that's not very effective.

As we really want cache invalidation here, not eviction, this is even
worse. For this purpose, it would be far more convenient to have some
method like invalidateCachesFor(Object id) on PersistenceManagerFactory.
To make our wish complete ;) this method would transition all
non-transactional instances to hollow for that id, for all the PMs the
PMF has given out. All transactional objects with that id should be
transitioned to hollow after their transaction has completed (either
with commit or rollback).

Or is there some other way to achieve the same effect?

Thanks for any comments,
Jörg