db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Negative VOTE: Spec update for xml metadata files
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2006 03:35:20 GMT
Hi Geoff,

Take a look at the code in api20/test/javax/jdo/XMLTest.java. It has
example for both dtd and xsd for how a JDO implementation can
parse .jdo, .orm, and .jdoquery files without being online. It uses a
validating parser.

Basically, the namespace and schema location are unique keywords that
identify the schema. There is no requirement that there actually be
anything at the location (although it's nice and we do intend to
publish the schema files there).

Craig

On Feb 25, 2006, at 6:28 PM, Geoff hendrey wrote:

> [...]
>> If PUBLIC is used, the public id should be "-//Sun
>> Microsystems,
>> Inc.//DTD Java Data Objects Metadata 2.0//EN"; a jdo
>> implementation
>> might optimize access for this id.
>>
>> The orm Schema Descriptor
>> This describes files stored as .orm files.
>> Note: The document type descriptors are descriptive,
>> not normative.
>> The xml schema in the binary distribution is
>> normative.
>> JDO vendors must support XSD and might support DTD.
>> If using XSD, the
>> declaration of the orm element must include the
>> following:
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
>> <orm xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/jdo/orm"

> xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/jdo/orm
>> 	http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/jdo/orm_2_0.xsd">
>> The document type descriptor is referred by the xml,
>> and must be
>> identified with a DOCTYPE so that the parser can
>> validate the syntax
>> of the metadata file. Either the SYSTEM or PUBLIC
>> form of DOCTYPE can
>> be used.
>> If SYSTEM is used, the URI must be accessible; a jdo
>> implementation
>> might optimize access for the URI
>> "http://java.sun.com/dtd/orm_2_0.dtd"
>> If PUBLIC is used, the public id should be "-//Sun
>> Microsystems,
>> Inc.//DTD Java Data Objects Mapping Metadata
>> 2.0//EN"; a jdo
>> implementation might optimize access for this id.
>>
>> The jdoquery Schema Descriptor
>> This describes files stored as .jdoquery files.
>> Note: The document type descriptors are descriptive,
>> not normative.
>> The xml schema in the binary distribution is
>> normative.
>> JDO vendors must support XSD and might support DTD.
>> If using XSD, the
>> declaration of the jdoquery element must include the
>> following:
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
>> <jdoquery
>> xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/jdo/jdoquery"

> xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/jdo/jdoquery
>> 	http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/jdo/jdoquery_2_0.xsd">
>> The document type descriptor is referred by the xml,
>> and must be
>> identified with a DOCTYPE so that the parser can
>> validate the syntax
>> of the metadata file. Either the SYSTEM or PUBLIC
>> form of DOCTYPE can
>> be used.
>> If SYSTEM is used, the URI must be accessible; a jdo
>> implementation
>> might optimize access for the URI
>> "http://java.sun.com/dtd/
>> jdoquery_2_0.dtd"
>> If PUBLIC is used, the public id should be "-//Sun
>> Microsystems,
>> Inc.//DTD Java Data Objects Query Metadata 2.0//EN";
>> a jdo
>> implementation might optimize access for this id.

Craig Russell