db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release jdo2 beta
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:23:27 GMT
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the feedback. That's one of the significant advantages of
being in Apache for this project.

I'll take a look at distributing the sources for everything we're
releasing here. No one on the project is really an expert on maven
but I'm sure we can figure it out.

Thanks,

Craig

On Jan 16, 2006, at 2:28 PM, Thomas Fischer wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Javadogs,
>>
>> I'd like to propose that we release jdo2 beta based on the current
>> code
>> in the svn repository and a few minor changes.
>>
>> 1. JDO-278 Change the group ids for the project from apache-jdo to
>>
>> org.apache.jdo for the non-API projects
>> javax.jdo for the API projects.
>>
>> 2. Change the version on all projects to 2.0-beta. This can be
>> changed
>> when we make the JDO-278 changes.
>>
>> 3. JDO-279 Distribute the tck20 as a source distribution and the
>> other
>> components as downloadable binary components. These would go into the
>> apache maven repository at www.apache.org/dist/java-repository
>> <http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository>.
>>
>> I'd like to have everyone's vote by Thursday 18-Jan-2006.
>
> It is probably just a misunderstanding on my side, but it sounds as
> if you would like to release the other components _only_ as
> downloadable binaries. Is this really the case ? If yes, may I ask
> for the motivation behind not wanting to release the sources of the
> other packages ?
>
> I am aware of the souces being available from svn anyway, but in my
> experience distributing the source code lowers the barrier for
> users to have a look at the source code enormously. As maven is
> used for the build, creating a source distribution should be no
> large deal (but maybe I'm mistaken here).
>
>    Thomas

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!