db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release jdo2 beta
Date Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:31:24 GMT
Hi Jean,

On Jan 14, 2006, at 2:35 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Javadogs,
>> I'd like to propose that we release jdo2 beta based on the current
>> code in the svn repository and a few minor changes.
>> 1. JDO-278 Change the group ids for the project from apache-jdo to
>> org.apache.jdo for the non-API projects
>> javax.jdo for the API projects.
> Craig,
> This might be a dumb question (especially since I mostly lurk on
> this list and rarely pay attention to the posts that go by), but
> will a javax.jdo package be part of the Apache JDO release? And, if
> so, is using "javax.jdo" acceptable given these posts?

Excellent question. We are using the org.apache.jdo package name (and
group id) for everything in this project except for the API jars
which are part of the specification and therefore must be named

These two jars are similar to the javax.jmx and other similar
geronimo-spec jars that are specified as part of the Java platform
not simply an implementation. We had originally used the apache-jdo
group id for the APIs even though they were all javax.jdo classes and
interfaces. And thought that this was confusing.
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/
> 200512.mbox/%
> 3c19e0530f0512201125h11565b19i1b6389bab40101cc@mail.gmail.com%3e
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/
> 200512.mbox/%3c20051222034703.GC2319@lyra.org%3e
> Those are just two posts from a long, tangled thread. "javax.jdo"
> might be fine, but questions might be raised.

I hope this answers your question.

>  -jean
>> 2. Change the version on all projects to 2.0-beta. This can be
>> changed when we make the JDO-278 changes.
>> 3. JDO-279 Distribute the tck20 as a source distribution and the
>> other components as downloadable binary components. These would go
>> into the apache maven repository at www.apache.org/dist/java-
>> repository <http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository>.
>> I'd like to have everyone's vote by Thursday 18-Jan-2006.
>> Thanks,
>> Craig
>> Craig Russell
>> jdo