db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Bouschen <mbo.t...@spree.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta
Date Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:01:24 GMT
Hi Craig,

+1 for the released version.

The distribution is running good, I tested it with the SNAPSHOT release
of JPOX as you described below.
However, I'm having problems with downloading the jdo2-beta jars from
the maven repository, please see below ...

> Oops, the URL below is wrong. It should
> be  http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/mirror-dist-db-jdo/2.0-beta/jdo2-tck-2.0-beta-src-20_Jan_2006.zip

> <http://www.apache.org/%7Eclr/downloads/mirror-dist-db-jdo/2.0-beta/jdo2-tck-src-20_Jan_2006.zip>.

> Sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> Craig
>
> On Jan 20, 2006, at 8:59 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> This is now a real vote for the release of JDO 2 beta.
>>
>> Here's how to test the jdo 2.0-beta staging release.
>>
>> 1. Download the TCK source release from
>> http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/mirror-dist-db-jdo/2.0-beta/jdo2-tck-src-20_Jan_2006.zip

>> <http://www.apache.org/%7Eclr/downloads/mirror-dist-db-jdo/2.0-beta/jdo2-tck-src-20_Jan_2006.zip>.
>>
>> 2. Unzip the release into a directory, hereinafter called <dist>.
>>
>> 3. Change to the <dist> directory: cd <dist>
>>
>> 4. The release depends on artifacts that are only available on the
>> staging release area, so you need to edit the maven location from
>> which the artifacts are downloaded. Find the line of maven.xml in the
>> project.properties file with the maven.remote.repo property, and add

What do you mean with maven.xml here? The project.properties in
jdo2-tck-2.0-beta has the property maven.remote.repo.

>> "http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/maven
>> <http://www.apache.org/%7Eclr/downloads/maven>" to the ibiblio and
>> jpox urls. The JPOX releases might not be available until Sunday
>> evening. Interim, you can manually download the nightly SNAPSHOT
>> build and rename the jar file to the 1.1.0-beta-6 version.

I added the above to the maven.remote.repo property. But I'm having
problems resolving the dependencies via maven, I get the following error
message:
Attempting to download jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar.
Error retrieving artifact from [
http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/maven/javax.jdo/jars/jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar]:
java.
io.IOException: Unknown error downloading; status code was: 302
WARNING: Failed to download jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar.

However, I could download the jars manually using the above url. So I
really do not know why I could not download it via maven.

>> 5. Change to the jdo2-tck-2.0-beta directory. This is the working
>> directory for the testing of the release.
>>
>> 6. Open and read the RunRules.html document and perform as many of
>> the steps therein as you like.

The file RunRule.html is included twice: in the root and under
jdo2-tck-2.0-beta. Maybe this is a left over from merging my recent
'maven dist' support changes into the workspace you used to create the
distribution file.

>> 7. If you run maven runtck.jdori from the jdo2-tck-2.0-beta
>> directory, you should expect 4 or 5 errors and 4 or 5 failures in
>> 1152 JUnit tests.

Yes, I got: Total tests run: 1154. Failures: 4, Errors: 4.

>> 8. If you like, you can also check out the source distributions of
>> the api20, core20, and enhancer20. These are also in the
>> http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/mirror-dist-db-jdo/2.0-beta/
>> <http://www.apache.org/%7Eclr/downloads/mirror-dist-db-jdo/2.0-beta/>
>> area for staging.

I realized some minor issues:
- The directory iut_jars is not included in the distribution, but it
will be created on the first run of maven from the jdo2-tck-2.0-beta
directory. This might be confusing, if you want to copy the iut jars
before running maven. Maybe we could change this and include it as an
empty directory. I'll take a look.
- We forgot to include the assertions directory into the distribution.
I'll take a look.
- The lib/ext directory is in the parent directory of jdo2-tck-beta, not
parallel to test as stated in the RunRules.

Regards Michael

>> Please send feedback to jdo-dev@db.apache.org
>> <mailto:jdo-dev@db.apache.org>.
>>
>> Thanks,