db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release jdo2 beta
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2006 05:52:35 GMT
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks for the advice. This is my first release.
>
> What we are trying to release is several jar files from the jdo2 project
> plus a source download. I'll stage these on my apache.org/~clr site
> along with instructions on what to do with them.

I'm not sure what you mean here, Apache releases are distributed from
Apache mirrors, not from people's home directories on Apache servers.

> Since the tck is a requirement for claiming compatibility with JSR 243,
> we need to distribute its sources. But the rest of the dependencies are
> distributed as binaries accessible via maven.
>
> So what would you like to see here? We've started the release process,
> and need a vote to make the components available on the Apache web site.
> Clearly I can make the binaries available as a maven repository in my
> ~clr web site but the other part is the process of getting people
> comfortable with the release process itself.

When Derby was getting started I found the HTTP server release
guidelines very useful:

http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html

The HTTP guidelines do talk about source only as a release, but with
Java projects you don't have the issue of multiple binaries, so a
release can include the binary (jar files as well).

Derby has a release process on its wiki:

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease

I think the point is that a release is what the JDO project wants to
distribute through the Apache mirrors. People need to vote on the actual
tar/zip that will be posted, not just on a state of the svn respository.
For example Derby had some issues with a release where something like
the scripts files bundled in the jar files did not have execute
permission, something that was obvious when people tried out the release
to-be, but maybe not from svn.

Hope this helps,
Dan.