db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release jdo2 beta
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 22:28:59 GMT
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Javadogs,
>
> I'd like to propose that we release jdo2 beta based on the current code
> in the svn repository and a few minor changes.
>
> 1. JDO-278 Change the group ids for the project from apache-jdo to
>
> org.apache.jdo for the non-API projects
> javax.jdo for the API projects.
>
> 2. Change the version on all projects to 2.0-beta. This can be changed
> when we make the JDO-278 changes.
>
> 3. JDO-279 Distribute the tck20 as a source distribution and the other
> components as downloadable binary components. These would go into the
> apache maven repository at www.apache.org/dist/java-repository
> <http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository>.
>
> I'd like to have everyone's vote by Thursday 18-Jan-2006.

It is probably just a misunderstanding on my side, but it sounds as if you
would like to release the other components _only_ as downloadable
binaries. Is this really the case ? If yes, may I ask for the motivation
behind not wanting to release the sources of the other packages ?

I am aware of the souces being available from svn anyway, but in my
experience distributing the source code lowers the barrier for users to
have a look at the source code enormously. As maven is used for the build,
creating a source distribution should be no large deal (but maybe I'm
mistaken here).

    Thomas