db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew T. Adams" <matthew.ad...@xcalia.com>
Subject Proposal: recursive classes in detachable shopping cart model
Date Sat, 21 Jan 2006 01:09:27 GMT
Hi everyone,

Craig asserted on the conference call today that we would probably need a
new object model that contained recursive references since the shopping cart
object model didn't have any classes that exhibit this feature.  Since the
shopping cart model does have class Product, it seems that there could be
two places to add recursive references:  on Product itself, so that a
Product could be defined as a bundle of other Products, and/or we could add
a class ProductCategory that could be used to categorize Products, and
Products could be placed into zero or more ProductCategories.

This would change the current model, depicted in the attached file
ShoppingCartClassDiagram.png, to the one depicted in the attached
ProposedShoppingCartClassDiagram.png.

Thoughts?

Note:  I've added and committed an ArgoUML project to tck20 at
trunk/tck20/src/uml/org/apache/jdo/tck/pc/shoppingcart/shoppingcart.argo.uml
if you want to see the model yourself.  I used the open source ArgoUML
0.18.1 (http://argouml.tigris.org) to create it.

--matthew

Matthew T. Adams
Corporate Technical Advisor & Senior Consultant
Mobile:  +1 253 732 1051
Phone:  +1 206 331 3833
Fax:  +1 815 331 0952
matthew.adams@xcalia.com
P.O. Box 24163
Federal Way, WA  98093
www.xcalia.com

Xcalia makes implementing SOA easy with agile business intermediation
software that combines heterogeneous data with services to easily develop
and deploy transactional composite applications.  Enterprises can quickly
respond to changing business requirements and dramatically reduce the costs
of data access and service integration.