db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Tests for execution in managed environments / J2EE containers?
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:43:24 GMT
Hi Jörg,

Thanks for your comments.

On Dec 13, 2005, at 5:18 AM, Jörg von Frantzius wrote:

> Alright, does anybody know if there is some rationale behind that?

I'll try to answer this one.

The TCK tests are designed to test the functionality of JDO in J2SE
environments, as this is where the spec is focused. There are no spec
requirements of a JDO implementation with regard to behavior inside a
container (there is no contract that is required on either the
container side or the JDO side).

Most JDO implementations use a non-standard way to configure the web
environment (such as a non-Java Connector Architecture resource)
mainly because the Java Connector Architecture resource requirements
are overkill for most applications.

It's also not clear what the TCK test suite would actually do.

That said, I think it's worth a discussion if you have some ideas of
the scope and environment of such tests.
> I'd think that a majority of the JDO users are writing web
> applications and need to run their stuff in an application server.

True, but the TCK will likely not be normative as to the
configuration of the JDO implementation inside the specific container
environment.

> Doesn't that mean the TCK is of limited use for the majority of JDO
> users?

Yes.

> (Trying to be a little provocative here, the TCK surely still is
> very useful ;)

The TCK is not for end users, but rather for JDO implementations to
help them make sure that they are compliant with the specification. I
think the major value of the TCK for end users is to make sure that
their vendor passes it.

Best regards,

Craig

> erik@jpox.org schrieb:
>> No.
>>
>> Quoting Jörg von Frantzius <joerg.von.frantzius@artnology.com>:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> does the TCK currently include any tests for managed environments?
>>>
>>> Thanks for information,
>>> Jörg
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dipl.-Inf. Jörg von Frantzius  |            artnology GmbH
>>>                                |                Milastr. 4
>>> Tel +49 (0)30 4435 099 26      |              10437 Berlin
>>> Fax +49 (0)30 4435 099 99      |  http://www.artnology.com
>>>

> --
> Dipl.-Inf. Jörg von Frantzius  |            artnology GmbH
>                               |                Milastr. 4
> Tel +49 (0)30 4435 099 26      |              10437 Berlin
> Fax +49 (0)30 4435 099 99      |  http://www.artnology.com

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!