db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Bouschen <mbo.t...@spree.de>
Subject Re: Issue 152: Redundant IMPORTS keyword
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2005 21:09:08 GMT
Hi Matthew,

>Provided that we could use "import" or "IMPORT", that would be fine.

this would be the first case that we support a Java keyword in its upper
case form. According to the spec keywords include Java keywords and
JDOQL keywords. Only the JDOQL keywords have an all-lower-case and an
all-upper-case form. So support for the upper case version IMPORT seems
to be inconsistent with the above rule.

>An alternative, although not so compatible between the API and string
>versions, is to support the keyword "import" followed by a comma-separated,
>semicolon-terminated list of imports:

I don't have a strong opinion about the comma separation, but if we want
to support this we need to do the same for the declaration of variables.
What I really do not like is making a difference between the API version
and the single-string representation of a JDOQL query. This is confusing
for the user and requires two different implementations of the import
handling.

I support the original proposal which just skips the keyword IMPORTS.

Regards Michael

>SELECT UNIQUE firstname, lastname
>INTO FullName
>FROM Employee
>WHERE salary > 1000 && projects.contains(p) && p.budget > 30000
>VARIABLES Project p
>IMPORT org.apache.jdo.tck.query.result.classes.FullName,
>org.apache.jdo.tck.pc.company.Person, org.apache.jdo.tck.pc.company.Project;
>
>If we updated the spec (14.6.4) to allow this comma-separated,
>semicolon-terminated list in addition to the initial syntax, I think it
>would be intuitive:
>
><proposal>
>14.6.4 Import statements
>The import statements follow the Java syntax for import statements. Import
>on demand is
>supported.
>
>Additionally, import statements may be expressed as a comma-separated,
>semicolon-terminated list of elements.  For example, both
>
>import org.example.Foo;
>import org.example.Bar;
>import org.example.util.*;
>
>and
>
>import org.example.Foo, org.example.Bar, org.example.util.*;
>
>would be supported.
></proposal>

Tel.:++49/30/235 520-33		Buelowstr. 66
Fax.:++49/30/2175 2012		D-10783 Berlin