db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg von Frantzius <joerg.von.frantz...@artnology.com>
Subject Re: fetch-depth + recursion-depth
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:49:11 GMT
Marco Schulze wrote:
> Jörg von Frantzius wrote:
>> After having thought about it for a while, I started to doubt whether
>> we really need a "recursion-depth" number  here. Can you think of a
>> case where you'd need any value greater than 1 here?
> We have a case in which we need a "recursion-depth" greater than 1:
>
> We use a tree of objects (all of the same class, self-referencing via
> a Collection), where the GUI loads this tree initially with
> recursion-depth=2 in order to immediately show the first level of the
> tree expanded and the second level ready - with already knowing
> whether an expand-icon needs to be visible or not. In other words: we
> load always one level more in the tree than is visible for
Now that's convincing! Sorry for not having thought of this case, and
please forget about that "recurse-class-cycles" flag. I'd absolutely
second a proposal for a "recursion-depth" number; if anyone would ask
me, that is ;)

Regards,
Jörg

Dipl.-Inf. Jörg von Frantzius  |            artnology GmbH
                               |                Milastr. 4
Tel +49 (0)30 4435 099 26      |              10437 Berlin
Fax +49 (0)30 4435 099 99      |  http://www.artnology.com