db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Marco Schulze <Ma...@NightLabs.de>
Subject Re: fetch-depth + recursion-depth
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:22:57 GMT
Jörg von Frantzius wrote:
> After having thought about it for a while, I started to doubt whether
> we really need a "recursion-depth" number  here. Can you think of a
> case where you'd need any value greater than 1 here?
We have a case in which we need a "recursion-depth" greater than 1:

We use a tree of objects (all of the same class, self-referencing via a
Collection), where the GUI loads this tree initially with
recursion-depth=2 in order to immediately show the first level of the
tree expanded and the second level ready - with already knowing whether
an expand-icon needs to be visible or not. In other words: we load
always one level more in the tree than is visible for avoiding the
expand-icon to be visible even though there are no children.
> So I'd rather call this a boolean flag "recurse-class-cycles".
IMHO, the implementation work for a boolean flag is the same as for a
number, so the flexibility of a count should be preferred.
> I can't see why the spec should be changed for this rather than
> extended. Your requirement for a cycle-detection probably doesn't
> invalidate existing requirements for an absolute fetch-depth.
With "changed" I meant "extended".