db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: TCK : DeleteCallback
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 17:52:46 GMT
Hi,

On Dec 5, 2005, at 7:40 AM, Michael Watzek wrote:

> Hi Craig, Andy
>
> I think there is a portability issue with this test case:
>
> The test case assumes that a JDO implementation supports managed
> relationships, because it deletes instances which are referenced by
> other instances. Due to the fact that it does not nullify those
> references explicitely, the test will cause errors for JDO
> implementations which do not support managed relationships.

Given that the relationships are represented by foreign keys in the
database for which the delete rule is specified as RESTRICT, this is
true.

> In order to make the test case portable, it should explicitely
> nullify references to the all deleted objects first. Afterwards, it
> should call Query.deletePersistentAll.

This seems to be a good solution.

> I think that the problem you discussed below will not show up after
> this change because all updates would have been initiated
> explicitely by the test case.

The test case org/apache/jdo/tck/query/delete/DeleteCallback.java as
checked in seems to ignore the preStore and postStore callbacks.

         public void preStore(InstanceLifecycleEvent event) {
             if (logger.isDebugEnabled()) {
                 logger.debug("preStore event: " +
                         JDOHelper.getObjectId(event.getSource()));
             }
         }
         public void postStore(InstanceLifecycleEvent event) {
             this.events.add(event);
             if (logger.isDebugEnabled()) {
                 logger.debug("postStore event: " +
                         JDOHelper.getObjectId(event.getSource()));
             }
         }
     }

Another issue (minor) is the typo in the inner class name. Should be
private class LifecycleVerifier.

Regards,

Craig

> What do you think?
>
> Regards,
> Michael
>> Hi Andy,
>> On Dec 3, 2005, at 12:54 AM, Andy Jefferson wrote:
>>> The DeleteCallback test when using relationships is apparently
>>> insisting that no [pre/post]Store event is ever fired after the
>>> first [pre/post]Delete event. I'd like to confirm why this is the
>>> case.
>>> JPOX does the following :-
>>>
>>> 1. Query.deletePersistentAll() called, so we flush all instances
>>> passed in (this flushing is not in JPOX CVS as yet).
>>> 2. [pre/post]Store are called on all flushed instances.
>>> 3. deletePersistent is called on the first instance. This can
>>> cause updates to related instances since the instance is now
>>> deleted,
>> I understand that deleting a referred instance makes the cache
>> inconsistent with the datastore, but don't see anything in the
>> specification that provides for the change to be reflected
>> immediately via a flush. JDO doesn't disallow managing
>> relationships. But flushing the changes is unexpected.
>>> which can trigger a further [pre/post]Store on the related
>>> instances (which aren't yet deleted, since their turn has not
>>> come yet).
>> Flushing behavior is described in 12.8 (explicit persistence
>> manager flush()). Automatic flushing of instances to the datastore
>> is not described anywhere. Flushing for evict, commit, and query
>> is described.
>>>
>>> Where exactly does it say in the spec that a JDO implementation
>>> cannot fire off further [pre/post]Store on related instances
>>> during the deletion process ? i.e the JDO2 spec is expecting the
>>> implementation to turn off reporting of events on all instances
>>> in the process of being deleted ?
>> No, it is expecting that flushing is done at specific times
>> (evict, commit, query, and user-initiated) and not at other times.
>> Craig
>>>

>>> --
>>> Andy
>> Craig Russell
>> jdo
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!
>

> --
> Michael Watzek                  Tech@Spree Engineering GmbH
> mailto:mwa.tech@spree.de        Buelowstr. 66
> Tel.:  ++49/30/235 520 36       10783 Berlin - Germany
> Fax.:  ++49/30/217 520 12       http://www.spree.de/

Craig Russell