db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JDO spec section 14.7. SQL queries must start with SELECT
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:00:53 GMT
Hi Erik,

The reason for disallowing anything but queries in the SQL statement
is that when using the JDO query facility, the JDO implementation is
expected to understand the effect of the query on the underlying
datastore and to make sure that the user doesn't accidentally hurt
herself. That is, objects deleted or updated in the datastore should
be reflected in the cache visible to the object model. Take a look at
delete by query for the kind of guarantees that JDO provides.

There is no such restriction on operations performed through the
JDOConnection, which is where I expect your stored procedures can
find a home.

Craig

On Nov 22, 2005, at 2:38 AM, erik@jpox.org wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is this still valid? I propose to remove this limitation because we
> should allow
> running stored procedures.
>
> Myself, I need to run a stored procedured. I guess this is a common
> use case.
>
> Regards,
>
> Erik Bengtson

Craig Russell