db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: dtd property element
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:04:47 GMT
Hi Erik,

On Nov 18, 2005, at 4:00 PM, erik@jpox.org wrote:

> See inline...
>
>>> 1 - Should the field-name attribute be used to generate the field
>>> in the class?
>>
>> No. The intent of the persistent interface is that the JDO
>> implementation creates an "anonymous" implementation class. There is
>> no requirement to even create a persistence-capable class; it's
>> perfectly fine to use dynamic Proxy as a strategy and to not even
>> define fields with names.
>>>

> JPOX is using another strategy. It creates the PersistenceCapable
> at runtime,
> and that's the context for the question.

That's fine. You are free to call the fields anything you want, and
in fact there is no requirement that the user tell you the field name.

I was just pointing out that with an alternative strategy, the issue
would not even arise because there are no fields to name!

Hope this satisfies your needs.

Craig

>>> 2 - There is no attribute that defines the binary name of the
>>> generated class at
>>> runtime. We may need a metadata attribute to allow specifying it,
>>> and secondly,
>>> we should define a default naming for the generated class if not
>>> specified in
>>> the metadata.
>>>
>>> I have two proposals for a default:
>>>
>>> - <interface-package>.Jdo<interface-classname>
>>> - <interface-package>.<interface-classname>Impl
>>>
>> See above. There is no value in having a persistence-capable concrete
>> class visible to the user, as there is no user-visible behavior of
>> such a class. The only thing that a user can and should rely on is
>> that the persistent properties are available from the implementation
>> instance.
>>
>> It seems that I wasn't clear in my reply below. Probably because
>> there are two different uses for persistent interfaces and
>> properties.
>>

> Yes you were. Sorry for not inputing the context

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!