db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Issue 139: Add field-type attribute to field element
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:25:52 GMT
Javadogs,

We have an issue with the TCK in mapping fields of type Object and
interface types to RDBMS. I don't know of a reasonable mapping that
allows an Object to be mapped either as a reference or as embedded,
while mapping it to serialized makes sense. In order to map these
fields as embedded or as a reference, we need to be more specific as
to the field type.

This would allow more specific field type to be specified at
deployment time compared to compile time. For example, a field of
type Object could be specified in the jdo metadata as containing only
instances of type SimpleClass.

Proposal:

<!ATTLIST field field-type CDATA #IMPLIED>

An alternative is to simply not make Object fields required to be
mapped, but this seems over-reaching.

Comments?

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com