db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@jpox.org>
Subject Re: TCK : ResultClassRequirements.testNegative
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:45:42 GMT
Hi Michael,

>> SELECT personid, lastname INTO
>> org.apache.jdo.tck.query.result.classes.LongString FROM
>> org.apache.jdo.tck.pc.company.FullTimeEmployee
>>
>> Now referring to 14.6.12, the impl needs to find a constructor taking the
>> expressions by position and type. It finds a constructor
>> LongString(long,String) and so can use it to create a result object. Why is
>> this supposed to throw an exception exactly ?

> The query has an INTO clause specifying a result class. For this
> reason, the constructor LongString(long, String) should not be chosen.

OK, your test is following the "rules" in the latest spec to the letter :-).
I prefer to look at it from a user viewpoint. "setResultClass" is the place
where the vast majority of people will specify the result class. The spec
seemingly isn't allowing a user to provide a result class with the correct
constructor parameters and use that to construct the object. This is a
limitation that I see no obvious reason for. Is there a reason ?

IMHO, the sequence should be
1. Use a constructor with the parameter positions/types.

or

2. Use a default constructor
2a. public fields matching name and type
2b. public set method matching name and type
2c. public put(Object, Object) method

--
Andy