db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@jpox.org>
Subject Re: Issue 145: Mapping Map with embedded PersistenceCapable
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 04:10:24 GMT
> I think I now understand your point, which I missed earlier. You
> don't see a need for a primary key to be defined on a join table.
> Apparently, JPOX requires this, and there is nothing in the spec
> currently that addresses the issue at all. Unless we change the spec
> to disallow the JPOX implementation, it seems that it is de facto a
> portability issue.

Hi Craig,

I mentioned this in one of the original JIRA issues on this subject. Either we
define a <primary-key> (to fully-specify the columns to be used, as you say
in your proposed wording) or we have a way of defining that no PK is to be
defined for that join table. I've no problem with allowing both, which is
what Abe is asking for.

JPOX can implement both, but the spec doesn't define how to say that you have
no PK, so consequently how can we ?

We could interpret no <primary-key> element as saying no PK, but I'm of the
opinion that having a PK in a join table is a "best practice" and should be
the default behaviour. Consequently I want a different way to say that there
is no PK. Maybe something like

<join primary-key="false">

--
Andy