db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@jpox.org>
Subject Re: SQL queries with candidate classes
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 05:55:05 GMT
"SELECT * FROM PrimitiveTypes"
"SELECT id, name FROM departments"

>Are both queries valid?

They are valid SQL queries, so I don't see why they should be prohibited for JDO
implementations.
Why some give errors is impossible to say since we have similar queries in our
test suite working fine. Must be down to the exact contents of the candidate classes.

The only other thing I'd mention is that you need to be careful with the case of
the table and column names. All RDBMS only support particular case combinations.
Derby allows UPPERCASE, and "Mixed Case quoted". Since your schema is created
with no quotes, they will be stored in UPPERCASE. When running the query they
will be interpreted as UPPERCASE also. With other RDBMS (e.g Postgresql) it is
different. But then that depends if the TCK is ever planned to be run on other
RDBMS. Clearly some SQL queries will vary in syntax from one RDBMS to another
.... but thats something else.

--
Andy