db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Questions concerning named queries
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:51:46 GMT
Hi Michael,

I talked to Michael Bouschen about these and we think that there is
some clarification needed in the specification.

On Oct 18, 2005, at 8:02 AM, Michael Watzek wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> I have 3 questions concerning named queries:
>
> 1) Assertion A14.5-13 specifies:
> [...
> The order is based on the metadata search order for class metadata,
> but includes files named based on the query name.]
>
> The assertion reads as if JDO defines a special metadata file
> having a file name  which equals the name of the named query. In
> the example underneath that assertion the spec does not list such a
> file:
>
> "...
> If metadata is not found in the above, then the following files are
> searched: META-INF/package.jdoquery, WEB-INF/package.jdoquery,
> package.jdoquery, com/package.jdoquery, com/sun/
> package.jdoquery, com/sun/nb/package.jdoquery, com/sun/nb/
> Bar.jdoquery."
>
> Have implementations also lookup a metadata file like
> <nameOfNamedQuery>.jdoquery?

No, this needs to be clarified. No file with a query name is used.

> 2) The seach order for metadata specifies to lookup a file WEBINF/
> package.jdo. In a web server the WEBINF directory cannot be looked
> up by a classloader. Instead, it is available through the servlet
> context. I'm not sure if (deployed) implementations are able to
> access the servlet context of deployed applications.
>
> Does it make sense to not specify named queries in a WEBINF
> directory of the TCK?

Yes, we don't have a web server environment that we're testing
against, so we need not test this.

> 3) The search order for metadata specifies that package jdo files
> are evaluated before class jdo files.
>
> Suppose there is a package jdo file containing metadata for class
> Person. That jdo file would not define named queries on class
> Person. Suppose further, there is a class jdo file for Person which
> does define named queries. Are these named queries supposed to be
> found by implementations?

No, I don't think so. Once an implementation has found class
metadata, it should not look further, even for query declarations.
This needs clarification.

Craig